Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Tombstone Tuesday: Cava de' Tirreni, Salerno, Italy cemetery

In my trip to Italy, while in my home town, I couldn't help but go to the cemetery where most of my ancestors on my father's side are resting.
I love this cemetery. I used to walk around all of those resting places and say a prayer to some of the tombs that looked like they were abandoned or the tombstones of little children.
I just loved the peace that you can find there, and I still do.

The main purpose of this trip, beside visiting my direct family tomb
was to take pictures of as many tombstones of Santoriellos (my maiden name) as possible.
Unfortunately, being with a little child, I could only go around almost half of the cemetery before he would start getting really bored and scream for freedom from the stroller, so I know I will have to go back and take pictures of the remaining Santoriello tombstones, but you can find the pictures I was able to take on the photo section of Santoriello in the world facebook group which I created to reunite all the Santoriello, as I am convinced, we are all cousins.
With time I am going to match the info on the tombstones with the info from my researches in the Cava de' Tirreni commune, library and churches, and I will give a better explanation on who each person is.
I hope with my efforts, to be able to reconnect as many Santoriellos as possible to their roots and to their long lost cousins.
If you are a Santoriello, or a descendant of a Santoriello, or even have ancestors born or died in the Cava de' Tirreni, Salerno, Italy comune, don't hesitate to contact me as I might be able to help you find your roots!

No comments:

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails