Saturday, November 21, 2009

These blocks rock!

Have you ever tried creating something you have never done?
I had been wanting to create these Heritage blocks, but kept pushing the idea aside since I had many other projects to create, either for my family, a client or an event.
Finally I decided that it was time to try.
So, here is how I did it:

I used one of the templates in the Template Gallery, dragged and dropped my pictures, changed the text, clicked publish and had it shipped to my house.
I sent my husband to Home Depot to buy a 2x4, and have it cut in 3.5 in  and 7.5 in pieces.
I then nicely asked him to sand them for me^_^
I put together all that I needed:

I started painting the corners of the blocks with a paint that was as close as possible to the main color on the paper.

While the paint was drying, I cut out each of the elements and had them lined up for each block.
I used a brown marker around each piece of cut paper to make sure that the white of the paper wouldn't stand out once on the blocks.
I put a layer of modge podge on the back of each  piece of paper and glued each paper to each side of the block, as per the template.
I let everything dry for about 15 minutes and then applied a layer of modge podge and let it dry again.


This was my very first time doing something like this, and everybody loved it!





I must say I am pretty proud of it!
I now have a classy home decor that tells about my wedding and my heritage and my kids can play with it any time, without hearing me screaming "Don't touch it!!!" since they just cannot break them!^_^


How cool is that!

Update: my children love the blocks so much that I had to promise to make one for each of them with their own photos to play with... I might end up getting some decent pictures soon, if I remind them they are for their block;)

1 comment:

Gini said...

These blocks you created are awesome, I love them! May try something similar, seems easy too!
Thank you for sharing a wonderful way to share our heritage!

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails